News and Events
- As the virus continues to flourish in much of America, the arts, businesses, education, and social interactions have been drastically curtailed. Yet, the Highland County Arts Council continues its quest “to promote the arts and to provide cultural enrichment to the community.” We are pleased that our work has been recognized by the Virginia Commission […]
- Dr. Levine and The Dreaded Blues Lady is comprised of Lorie Strother on vocals and Stephen Levine on guitar. This energetic duo performs a diverse selection of acoustic music styles. Though blues is their focus, they also sometimes surprise audiences with Jazz, R&B, Soul, and Classic Rock tunes. Lorie Strother can’t remember a time […]
- In early June, The Highland County Arts Council realized their popular Arts Academy workshops could not be held as planned in 2020. It was not feasible to go forward with the seven workshops due to health and safety concerns. Instead, they began planning for an abbreviated version and ideas on how to move forward with an appreciation of art during unusual circumstances formed through conversations with instructors and potential participants.
- Like all organizations, non-profit and for-profit that have arts events on their agenda, the Highland County Arts Council seeks to find a way to meet its goals while adhering to the limitations imposed by the pandemic. Many of our activities have been cancelled or altered since March. One alteration is moving our performances to spaces […]
- Tyler Hughes hails from Big Stone Gap, Virginia, where he began learning the traditions of mountain music at age 12. A singer and multi instrumentalist (clawhammer banjo, autoharp, guitar, dulcimer), Tyler brings new life to country music’s old time and classic repertoire.
- The Highland Arts Academy has a change of date for the Ecoprinting Workshop and is excited to announce the date for the Cell Phone Photography Workshop. Ecoprinting Workshop – New Date August 6 & 7. Circumstances required a date change for this workshop and it has been rescheduled from July to August. The two day […]
- The July Newsletter continues to note the limited activities the pandemic imposed on the normal schedule of performances, exhibits, and workshop that the Highland County Arts Council has featured in past. Second Saturdays at Seven: The Arts Council has three concerts planned for the fall 2nd Saturdays at 7 series. The first is Tyler Hughes–guitarist, […]
- The Highland County Arts Council believes that the arts are essential to our community and we have been focusing attention on our many talented local artists. Shamrock and Stephenson Realty has provided the use of a window in the old Highland Craft Shop on Main Street in Monterey to create a series of displays as […]