News and Events
- Tyler Hughes hails from Big Stone Gap, Virginia, where he began learning the traditions of mountain music at age 12. A singer and multi instrumentalist (clawhammer banjo, autoharp, guitar, dulcimer), Tyler brings new life to country music’s old time and classic repertoire.
- The Highland Arts Academy has a change of date for the Ecoprinting Workshop and is excited to announce the date for the Cell Phone Photography Workshop. Ecoprinting Workshop – New Date August 6 & 7. Circumstances required a date change for this workshop and it has been rescheduled from July to August. The two day […]
- The July Newsletter continues to note the limited activities the pandemic imposed on the normal schedule of performances, exhibits, and workshop that the Highland County Arts Council has featured in past. Second Saturdays at Seven: The Arts Council has three concerts planned for the fall 2nd Saturdays at 7 series. The first is Tyler Hughes–guitarist, […]
- The Highland County Arts Council believes that the arts are essential to our community and we have been focusing attention on our many talented local artists. Shamrock and Stephenson Realty has provided the use of a window in the old Highland Craft Shop on Main Street in Monterey to create a series of displays as […]
- New workshops are ready for registration! Learn to ecoprint on silk, weave baskets, or take the best photos with your cell phone. Workshops will be conducted outside or online to maximize the safety of both participants and instructors.
- The Highland Arts Council believes that the arts are essential to our community ... Shamrock and Stephenson Realty has provided the use of a window in the old Highland Craft Shop on Main Street in Monterey to create a series of displays as a way to share art with the community.
- As a classically trained musician and the first graduate of Virginia Commonwealth University’s Department of Music to earn a degree in performance with the banjo, John Bullard has established a critically praised performing and recording career dedicated to exploring the artistic marriage of banjo and classical music.
- The Highland County Arts Council is urging all to take care so that the quarantine can work to limit the number of cases and ultimately release us from the quarantine. To that end, the Arts Council has made some difficult choices as it faces the future ... read on.